- Why Eleventy?
- Getting Started
- Working with Templates
- Using Data
- Template Languages
- API Services
- Release History
Eleventy is a simpler static site generator.
Why should you use Eleventy?
- Eleventy has fast builds and even faster web sites.
Eleventy is production ready and trusted by:
Eleventy has been downloaded over 6 million times and is used on 62,000+ repositories on GitHub.
- Trusted by
- Chrome Developers
- CSS Tricks
- A11Y Project
- United Kingdom (gov)
- France (gov)
- Stack Overflow
- Open Web Docs
- Filament Group
- Set Studio
- Khan Academy
- UX London
- Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison
- California (gov)
- Red Hat
- Just Eat Takeaway
- …and more
- Eleventy has a lovely community of folks that really care about what they build. What is Sara Soueidan saying about Eleventy?
Eleventy is stable. We’ve shipped 56 releases going back to the first version in December 2017 and only two of those releases have had Eleventy-specific breaking changes.
a11yproject.com launched with version 1.0.0 of Eleventy. […] It's been a little under three years and I haven't had to make any adjustments to its dependencies, and it can still install and run from a cold start with no complications. When I update the site to use version 2.0.0 I'll actually be removing dependencies, and not adding more. […] That's rare and special.— Eric Bailey
- Eleventy doesn’t track you. We don’t have or use telemetry nor require you to opt-out of data collection.
- Eleventy is zero-config to start and can be extended with flexible configuration options.
- Eleventy works with multiple template languages. You can pick one or use them all together in a single project:
- Eleventy uses independent template languages. We don’t want to hold your content hostage with a custom format. If you decide to use a different syntax later, having your content decoupled in this way will make migration easier.
Eleventy works with your project’s existing directory structure. The tool doesn’t require an
appdirectory or a
pagesdirectory. Use the structure that you want.
- Eleventy allows incremental adoption. We only look for the files and directories you specify. Further, with even more precision you can opt-out or ignore specific files in your project. You don’t need to start an Eleventy project from scratch. Eleventy is flexible enough to allow conversion of only a few templates at a time. Migrate as fast or as slow as you’d like.
Get started with Eleventy today! or read more about Eleventy’s project goals.
Don’t just take my word for it 🌈 Jump to heading
There are a bunch of sites built using Eleventy. But listen to what these happy developers are saying about Eleventy:
“I looked into and actively tried using various static site generators for this project. Eleventy was the only one I could find that gave me the fine-grained control I needed at blazingly fast build times.” —Mathias Bynens
“Eleventy is absolutely wonderful. It’s by far the nicest static site generator I’ve used in what feels like forever.” —Addy Osmani
“2022 winner of the Google Open Source Peer Bonus Award” —Google
“Eleventy + Netlify have become my new workflow for static sites. I think I'm in love.” —Mina Markham
“Eleventy is a killer static site generator. That’s all.” —Sara Soueidan
“Jekyll is dead to me” —Andy Bell
Read the replies to: “Fans of Eleventy.... why do you like it better than other static site generators?”
“Seriously can't remember enjoying using a Static Site Generator this much. Yes Hugo is rapid, but this is all so logical. It feels like it was designed by someone who has been through lots of pain and success using other SSGs.” —Phil Hawksworth
“Eleventy and web components go really, really well together.” —Justin Fagnani
“Think the reason everyone is loving [Eleventy] so much (myself included) is that it doesn't come with a prescription about data sources or template rendering.” —Brian Leroux
“I use Eleventy on almost every project at this point and I love it.” —Lea Verou
“I actually used Eleventy for the first time this week. Loved it.” —Paul Lewis
“#1 Product of the Day (May 2022)” —Product Hunt
“I heard Eleventy was good” —Lach Zeatherman
“Just the kind of simple / common sense tool I love. The data/folder hierarchy mechanism is super obvious and elegant.” —Heydon Pickering
“Don’t tell Zach I said it but Eleventy is seeming fresh as hell so far” —Mat Marquis
“Eleventy is my fave.” —Tatiana Mac
“The Eleventy + Netlify combo continues to be 🤌” —Dan Mall
“Eleventy is almost fascinatingly simple.” —Chris Coyier
…and many more!
Competitors Jump to heading
This project aims to directly compete with all other Site Generators. We encourage you to try out our competition:
- Jekyll (Ruby)
- Hugo (Go)
- Bridgetown (Ruby)
- More at jamstack.org